And while the recipe is tremendous, I'm sorry to say that I don't actually have a recipe for these. But, I think there's a Southern Living recipe out there somewhere for honey mustard brussel sprouts, because I believe that's where my mom got the recipe. So, ya know, let me know if you find it. It wouldn't hurt for me to start following a recipe too since I also think my mom mentioned her version called for a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce.
So here's how you make the ones I experimented wih one day:
Start with bacon...
(yes, I know I told you it wasn't that healthy of a recipe. Go with it).
- Cook the bacon in a pan (around 2-3 strips). Remove the bacon, and drain any excessive grease from the bottom of the pan, leaving just a little for cooking.
- Add fresh, trimmed brussel sprouts cut in halves to the pan to saute until they start getting tender, and to where they have been moderately roasted. Add a bit of kosher salt or pepper to the pan.
- In a side bowl, melt half a stick of butter. (Yes, I know... the real healthie foodie would be disgusted by this amount of butter. In the meantime, I've taken over and think butter on brussel sprouts is absolutely delicious and necessary.)
- Add about 2 Tbsp of Dijon mustard. Add sugar or honey to taste. Some might say you could also use honey mustard. That might be easiest.
- Coat the brussels in the honey mustard sauce and crumble bacon on top.
It is important to note that Ben loves these so much, he eats them like candy. He has been known to make them just for himself on a Tuesday night...
We made these with salmon and it was delicious!